We all in India are familiar with Quikr.com. Everyone must have seen the ad on TV where a wife wants to get rid of her red sofa set as it doesn’t match her blue walls (I know!) and a guy wants to buy one urgently after moving to a new place…and Bam! Quikr to the rescue and problem solved. You can see the ad HERE.
For anyone not familiar with the site, Quikr.com is India’s largest online classifieds portal where people can connect with each other to buy or sell goods and services. Launched in 2008 with the vision for buyers and sellers to “meet online, transact offline”, today Quikr.com has over 4.2 million listings and have generated over 150 million replies. Headquartered in Mumbai, Quikr operates from 940 cities across India. It has over 13 categories and 170 sub-categories, with the most popular being mobile phones and electronics, real estate, cars and bikes.
My Shopping Experience
For ease of understanding, I am posting a step wise experience of my shopping with Quikr.com
1. Firstly, select the city you live in so that all the sellers near your place get filtered. If your city is not listed in the popular cities, go to ‘More cities’
2. From the different categories, choose the category of the product you are looking for. It will take you to an array of subcategories. I wanted to search for an acoustic guitar, so I headed to Home and Lifestyle category and thereafter to Musical Instruments subcategory.
You can also type your product directly in the search bar at top and it will show you all the products matching your search term.
3. Upon Clicking on Musical Instruments subcategory, one can see that Quikr.com has a huge listings of musical instruments. You can click here to see it : http://ghaziabad.quikr.com/Musical-Instruments/w18222214068
Set filters in the left panel to see the best match of products you are looking for.
4. I was looking for an acoustic guitar since I broke my previous one. I didn’t want to buy a new one because most of the time I play my electric guitar but it’s always good to have an acoustic guitar as well.. you know, just for those days you want to play one! 🙂
So I thought why not check on quikr.com as buying an old guitar will fit the bill perfectly. And quikr.com had so many great deals. I never thought I will find one to my liking, and not just one, I found so many to choose from!
5. I finally narrowed it down to a few. For the first guitar I chose, I noted down the phone number of the seller and whatsapped him for the info. I liked the guitar a lot and it was in good condition, but the seller quoted a very high price. It was above my budget and the fella was reluctant to budge. I tried to convince him that one can get a brand new for the price he is asking, but he kept on stressing on the color of his guitar, cherry color being more expensive. Since it was above my budget even after the little bargaining he did, I politely thanked him and moved on.
I kept on looking for more and finally stumbled on THIS guitar.
It looked good in the photo and I contacted the seller for more info. I asked the seller how old it was, what accessories he was providing and how many times it was used. The strings were little rusty but he was providing additional strings to compensate. He had quoted the guitar for Rs 6500 and my budget was Rs. 5000. After bargaining he finally agreed to my budget and so we finalized the deal. We agreed to meet at a fixed place and he brought the guitar there. After inspecting I bought it finally. The whole thing was done within 24 hours!! I contacted the seller in morning and bought it by evening itself.
I am happy with my as-good-as-new guitar. I got the cover, 4 picks, tuner, 4 strings and allen key along with the guitar.
Here are a few pointers on using Quikr.com
If you are a Seller:
1. Please share photos!
The more the better. Some sellers don’t have photo for their products which makes it very difficult for buyer to finalize the product. Chances are the buyer won’t even read your ad, let alone considering it to buy.
2. Provide information
Please tell a few basic things about your product like when it was bought, how many times it has been used, if you are giving any accessory along (if applicable). A good description of the product is always helpful. Also, please give correct information.
3. Please give correct contact info.
Also, get missed calls alert activated on your mobile phone if you need to switch off your mobiles frequently. It may happen that your phone is not reachable and if someone is genuinely interested in your product and is unable to contact you, you may lose the opportunity.
If you are a Buyer:
1. If a product interests you, don’t hesitate to contact the person on the number provided. Call, message, whatsapp…whatever suits you. However it may take longer if you email.
2. Show your bargain skills! Don’t hesitate to bargain. The prices quoted by the sellers are often negotiable. So don’t let go of a product you really like thinking how you wish it was little cheaper.
3. Inspect the product properly before buying.
Thats it folks. This was my first shopping experience with Quikr.com. I admit I was hesitant at first as I had never bought anything from such online classifieds. Being an avid user of online shopping sites, I was apprehensive about the way Quikr.com works. But everything kept falling in the right place. The site is easy to use. You basically search for your product, finalize it, contact the seller and finally buy from them. Not only products you can even find services and property on this site.
Overall, it was a good experience shopping on Quikr.com 🙂